This Journey of Ours

Daisypath - Personal pictureDaisypath Anniversary tickers

One Month

30 days.

Wow. 30 days. Time streaked past.

In this period of time, short as it is, how much have I achieved? Looking back, it seems so long ago that I turn my back and pulled my luggage and walked that stretch of "road" to get to my departure gate, Gate 9, bawling my way there. Meeting nice people along the way, the Singaporean actors at KIA, the nice China ground assistant staff at SIA. The nice Australian next to me on the 7 hour flight.

What have I achieved?






Carried a koala. Fed kangaroos, wallabies. Saw wombats, penguins (in such a dry state), Kookabaru, Albino Peacock, Panther. Petted a baby goat, a doe, kangaroo with the joey in the pouch. Tried Ash Goat Cheese, Cream cheese, Goat milk cheese, Real cheddar (Adventurous of me eh?). Have freshly made dark chocolate melt in the mouth. Saw Adelaide at the highest point, at Mount Lofty. Strolled down the quaint rows of shops in Handorf. Took the wrong bus after being to Ikea, went to Glenelg due to that wrong bus. Had strong cold dry winds blown in my face. Shivered when the sweater was not thick enough. Walked the corridors of the University of Adelaide. Visited the Spencer Wing. Walked the State's Library and Post Office.

Research on equipments for the aged. Learned Referencing. Learned to make unoccupied and occupied beds. Clean dentures and another classmates' teeth. Had my own teeth brushed by another person. Shown how to manuover a person correctly. Taught Manual Handling. Used a lifter. Learned CPR. Learned Senior first aid. Finishing assignments before the dateline. Got used to the various accents of lecturers and classmates. Waking up for classes. Honing non-existent writing skills. Learned how to shower a person, dress them. Learned to aid them with their ADLs.

Decorated my rooms. Resorting to handwash after awhile. Took buses (Something avoided at all cost back home! Oh, the irony!) Bought things using another currency (Had to steel myself from coverting back to ringgits. Got used to the times the shops are opened (Till 1600 everyday except Friday that is till 2100. For someone who have shopping malls opened till midnight back home, and have places like Xiang Xiang, I'm so NOT used to it!) Learning how to scrimp more than ever, more than back home) Learned a NEW language! (Still in progress!) Stood on my feet for nearly 8 hours at my Orientation to my work site. Had the worse first experience at a Residential Home. Had an uplifting, rejuvenating visit to a Senior Day Center in a scenic place a tad far from the city. Learned the "tricks" (better ways, no shortcuts, mind you) of the trade while at work site Orientation. Learned how to empathize correctly, healthily.

Eating meals. (Yea, very significant for me! Three meals) Got sick on the first week. Had excruxiatiing cramps (yet again). Attending mass at another church other than St.Joseph's or St.Peter's. Had blistered foot from work, walking. Spotted wild koalas and A KANGAROO at Morialta Reservoir Park right across the road of my school yesterday when John, my English lecturer decided we take a walk there. Went to the First falls.

4 paragraphs and I'm still not done. Memories are gushing at me, filling up my head. The list goes on and on.

I'm still awestruck at how much I've learned, how much I've achieved. Learned alot about people, about different cultures, about relationships, about languages, about my career. And most definitely, about myself.

Inevitably, I miss home, so much. My mummy, my daddy, that not so little brother. My grandparents. My mamak, my papak. My COUSINS! My close friends. I miss my nephew, Dylan!! I miss them so much it literally aches physically (I kid you not) I'd admit and say that the first two weeks back, especially the nights were the hardest. I even miss the food so much. Craved so much for my favorite mini foochow burgers, popiah, kway teow, fish and alot more. I miss the places I go at times, I realize I've taken forgranted the simplest things back home like having my own bathroom. Texting whenever I want back home, call when I want. Now, phone calls, MSN, emails, and texts are what that keep me sane. Lord knows how I can stand not having have to hear my parents, my nephew.. and a few close friends! I can't bear really.

Sighs.

South Australia, Adelaide. I've come to like it. I anticipate what the future, what tomorrow may brings for me. I can't say that I'm the same girl who packed her bags and left that little town a month back, I wouldn't say so. I believe, I'm different now? In a few aspects perhaps.

I still am lost, I'm still searching.
4 Responses
  1. your heart Says:

    You're really on your way to finding yourself :) i've said it before so let me say it again, i'm really, really proud of you :)


  2. lyrehs Says:

    "Decorated my rooms."
    Take photos of it & post it up =)

    "Took buses (Something avoided at all cost back home! Oh, the irony!)"
    Of course avoid taking buses back home at all cost. Not reliable, sad to say. Where you are at, bus is your friend (same goes with break and a little bit of clutch ;))

    "Bought things using another currency (Had to steel myself from coverting back to ringgits)."
    After a few more months, you will forget to convert especially when you start earning. So, no worries there.

    "Got used to the times the shops are opened (Till 1600 everyday except Friday that is till 2100. For someone who have shopping malls opened till midnight back home, and have places like Xiang Xiang, I'm so NOT used to it!)"
    Welcome to Australia! The place where shops closes that early (especially where you are at).

    "I can't say that I'm the same girl who packed her bags and left that little town a month back, I wouldn't say so. I believe, I'm different now? In a few aspects perhaps."
    The wonders of what you can/how much you will learn when you are plucked out from the comfort of the place you call home. Its survival in a good way.

    Glad for the updates. =)


  3. VIRUZ_XP Says:

    ganbateh, teddy-chan.

    The beginning is hard as always, glad to see that you're getting a hang of it.

    Keep up with the updates whenever you can yea?

    Ciao.


  4. hey jo,why didnt u tell us that u r leaving?!